On the occasion of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, China launched its first National Ocean Awareness Day on 18 July 2008, Qingdao. Chairperson of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO, Mr. Javier A.VALLADARES addressed the launching ceremony.
He highly valued the theme chosen for this event: “The Ocean and the Olympics”. “The Olympic ideal promotes a universal message of friendship and peace among all races and peoples of the world. Thismessage is perfectly matched by the spirit under which the United Nations promotes the peaceful uses of the Ocean and its resources and protects the bottom and subsoil of the world oceans as the ‘common heritage of mankind’ ”, said the Chairperson.
He also noted that Qingdao city was selected by the International Olympic Committee (another IOC) as the host city for the upcoming 2008 Beijing Olympic Sailing Regatta Besides its beautiful mountain and ocean sceneries. He appreciated the efforts of the Government and People of China by bringing these two IOCs together, the Olympic IOC and the Ocean IOC, in raising public awareness on the vital role that the Ocean and its resources play in the daily life of people and for sustainable development, and meanwhile reiterated the willingness of IOC to cooperate with all within its areas of competence.
While reviewing the significant progress of IOC in assisting its member states in marine Scientific Research, Observations and Services world wide over the past 48 years, he expected the full participation of its Member States, through a series of national activities, in the fiftieth anniversary of IOC in 2010 which provides a huge opportunity to raise the awareness of the people of the world about the role the Ocean plays in the lives andfor the future generations.
For more information
– Fiftieth Anniversary of IOC Preliminary Plan and Schedule of Initiatives.pdf
– Adopted Resolutions.pdf, namely on:
1. The Future of IOC
2. The Fiftieth Anniversary of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO
3. Seventh Session of the IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific (WESTPAC VII)
4. Guidelines for the implementation of Resolution XX-6 of the IOC Assembly regarding the deployment of profiling floats in the high seas within the framework of the ARGO Programme
5. Preparation of the IOC Draft Programme and Budget for 2010–2011
6. IOC Intergovernmental Coordination Groups (ICG) for Tsunami Warning and Mitigation Systems for the Pacific Ocean (PTWS), the Indian Ocean (IOTWS), North-Eastern Atlantic, Mediterranean and connected seas (NEAMTWS) and Caribbean and Adjacent Regions (CARIBE-EWS)