The IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific (WESTPAC) cordially invites interested individuals, institutions, countries and stakeholders to submit proposals for CSK-2 initiatives, either projects or activities, which can contribute to the attainment of CSK-2 objectives and fulfilling the UN Ocean Decade Challenges.
The Kuroshio, one of the strongest currents in the world, holds vast cultural, social-economic value to most countries in the Western and North Pacific. Over the past decade, the Kuroshio region has been known as one of the most responsive areas to the global warming. It’s urgently needed to fill in substantial knowledge gaps in the understanding of the Kuroshio. In this context, the IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific (WESTPAC) established, in April 2021, the CSK-2 as a large scale multidisciplinary and multinational research programme. It was also approved in May 2022 as a UN-led Decade Programme in the UN Decade of Ocean Science for the Sustainable Development (2021-2030).
Endorsement Criteria for CSK-2 Initiatives
- Accelerate the generation of knowledge about the Kuroshio and its environmental, social and economic value, and contribute to fulfilling the UN Ocean Decade Challenges;
- Contribute to the achievement of CSK-2 objectives: i. to understand the Kuroshio and its impact on global and regional weather and climate, with a societal outcome to achieve improved regional weather forecasts and climate predictions; ii. to understand the Kuroshio in relation to its marine ecosystem, with a societal outcome to achieve better management of regional fisheries and aquaculture along the Kuroshio and in its adjacent regions;
- Endeavor to “co-design and co-deliver” the project with relevant stakeholders to facilitate the uptake of CSK-2 science and knowledge for societal needs;
- Provide a feasible implementation plan, including a list of project implementation partners, liaise with ISG and communicate about the project progress;
- Ensure the data and resulting knowledge are shared and deposited as per the CSK-2 data and information management plan;
- Integrate capacity development activity as part of the project implementation for younger generation.
Submission of Proposals
Interested parties wishing to submit a CSK-2 initiative should complete and submit the online form, by 20 January 2023. All the proposals will be reviewed by the CSK-2 International Steering Group.